Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Some Independence Festivities and a Good-bye

We have had some amazing storms down here recently- amazing. They just come from nowhere and drop every bit of rain they carry. They cool off the temperatures, they give my turtle a place to swim….they’re great. They even give me a reason to stay home, read a book and drink a cup of tea….wonderful.

Though, I will admit…it probably wasn’t wonderful for the students running the 18 kilometers to bring the Liberty flame to town. I wonder if it went out along the way and they had to reignite it…..hmmm. I guess it would just be mean to send them back to Sonsonate. They made it to town around 7:15ish at night.

The next day was the big parade and I failed miserable at my attempt to avoid it. I got up early to go help decorate the stage – I’m used to place things in high places since I’m one of the tallest girls around. (I hate that ‘cause I look like a giant in most photos). Four bands were participating and they all marched into town – that’s when Don Justo dragged me up to the table of honor. They have so many things saluting the flag – the national anthem (which is incredibly long), the pledge, a few poems – I don’t know, a lot. It was excersise standing and sitting, standing and sitting…..

Anyway, then there was the parade I marched in front of and that Don Justo mysteriously got out of marching in. Something about his recent eye surgery and not being able to stay in the sun – what a cop out.

That afternoon, we raffeled off the blender for the artisans. I sold about 9 lists for them – I shook everyone down. My boss, the mayor, the drunkards, myself…everyone. But, they raised a good amount of money to help pay for the labor needed for their ovens. I went to the Health Center to have them pull the numbers so that no one could say it was wrongly done. The first numbers they pulled gave the blender to my boss – but, I decided that the community at large wouldn’t appreciate that and nor did my boss actually want he blender…so I re-raffeled it on the spot. Yes, I told him and I even tried to call him. But – such is life. The blender then went to a little old lady in the community who loves it. YEY!

I’m not sure what our next fundraiser will be – maybe selling flowers or food for the next event.

I was exhauseted by the end of the day – running around in the sun will do that to ya. Sunday was a much more relaxed day of doing some cleaning, cooking and napping. I won’t say what I did the most of…but come on.

Monday I headed into the San Sal for a good-bye lunch for a good friend – Allison. Getting there was harder then I thought – who knew there was a rush hour at the bus terminal…not me. Anyway, she has just finished three years of service and is heading home. During the last year, she has been working in the office as support to volunteers in the field – and she’s helped me out a whole bunch. So, attending a lunch and bringing a small gift was the least I could do. Yes, I gave her pottery. I’ll miss you Allison!

After the lunch – I had the longest trip home ever. There was sooo much traffic. I think I crashed early just because of it.

And well, that brings me to today – Tuesday. I’m working on a few things but do have time to go post this.

Later!

No comments: