Monday, March 17, 2008

Picking up where I left off…

I guess I’ll pick on where I left off – Thursday and Friday were at a Peace Corps security conference. This was the first one of these we had and it was meant to address security conditions within the country and overall updates.

I did appreciate the information I received. That being said, these things are always scary. I won’t go into specifics, but more or less they talk about crime in the country, where it is concentrated and who it affects the most. No, my pueblo wasn’t mentioned as a security hot spot – so have no fear.

Besides this info, it went over our emergency procedures and other information not crime related – such as the large percentage of ancient buses still in use in El Salvador.

So – after getting all scared up. I made my way home for Friday night and headed out Saturday morning for the beach!

That’s right….two fantastic nights ocean side. I went with a handful of other volunteers to a small beach located not too far away. We stayed in a place where you could make your own food – so we did.

I won’t go into all the activities we accomplished – but a few mentionables include 2 bbqs, Mayan temple construction, reading, watermelon, drinking and dominos. I even managed not to get burnt.

Somehow, my compatriots managed to convince me to get on the bus to come back to my community. But not before one last good lunch, the borrowing of some books and a new recipe.

If you couldn’t follow – this now brings us to Tuesday. Tuesday through Thursday – not too much happened.

Friday I went back into San Salvador to sort more books. They were finally able to make it through customs. It actually went way quicker then I thought it would. We were done before lunch even though we had twice as many books as last time to sort. We went through it mad quick since the boxes came labeled with how many books were in them. Some boxes we didn’t even have to open since they came with sufficient for a box for each school – like encyclopedias.

This leads us into Samana Santa and a week of vacation!

No comments: