Tuesday, July 25, 2006

La Playa! (the beach)

If I closed my eyes it felt like I was on the beach in Montalk. There was a slight breeze to help with the strong sun and the sound of waves crashing in the backround....but let me start at the beginning.

After training on Friday we hopped onto the 'party bus' and crusied our way to the beach, actually an island named Tasajara. Once we got there we hopped (i know, we're doing a lot of hopping) onto the boats and made our way over to the island. Now, when we got there I took off my shoes when I got off the boat and walked around. There are fire ants on islands down here and they hurt. Really hurt. After a hearty dinner we just kinda chilled. There was a pier that extended over the water where we could watch an awesome lightening storm. No rain, no thunder....just lightening. When I went back to my room to get ready for bed, i found that ants (the evil variety) had invaded my bed. So, I and the girl I was splitting a bed with (there were two people per bed...what do you expect, we´re on a budget here) went on the hunt for a new room. Thankfully, we were takin in by another group....we just had to ignore the bats (no, not the sport quipment) that were flying around.

The next day was spend at the beach....at least the majority of it. After a fruit/granola bar breakfeast, we all ran off to go soak in the sun. To get to the beach with the waves (we were on the bay side of the island) you had to walk down this dirt path. It wasn´t so bad except when the mosquitos were waiting for you. You could just see them swarming around the person infront of you and you knew they were doing the same thing to you. When we got there, there we´re kids with horses offering rides. As tempting as it was...those horses looked really sketchy, as in probably having no training. So yes...i passed on the opportunity. I thus spent the morning playing freesby, body surfing (big ass waves) and just taking in the sun. It also included eating a peanut butter sandwich...sand included. This continued till lunch time. After being served a wonderful lunch, I read and chilled in the hammick for a while till the midday heat had subsided. Then it was back to the beach! More surfing (bigger ass waves) along with some quality sand castle construction. I also think i took a nap...it was all good. That night was the drinking night...sweet. There is nothing like chilling on a island with a cool breeze and a refreshing drink. But, it was also when Adrianna and Will announced their departure from Peace Corps. I haven´t mentioned them before, but they are a couple that lived in my training town with me....I´ll miss you guys!!

After sleeping in, i headed back to the beach on sunday. It went by so quickly! The waves were even larger...hard to believe...and it came to the point where I wasn´t even comfortable hanging out to far. After being pummlled and napping on the beach it was alas time to leave. Of corse they (the hostel) waited till then to spring additional charges on us and wouldn´t call the boat till we coughed it up. I hate it when shit like that happens at the end of a trip. It just leaves a sour taste in your mouth. When we got back to the main land more mosqitos were waiting and they were vicious! But that´s about it.

Overall...it was a sweet trip and I´m glad I went on it. A little less white and a little relaxed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested