Saturday, May 26, 2007

Never trust a waterfall...

Over the past weekend, I went to another small business meeting. This time is was held in Perkin (small town located in the department of Morazan). It’s a beautiful area and high enough that it gets cool at night. The hotel even had hot water! I almost used it all.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to get a ride from the capitol out there – cause it can be quite a hike in bus. However, to get to the capital, I had to leave my site at 6am … that was a little harsh.

We started our little meeting around 1:30ish, I want to say… Anyhow, it mainly focused in two areas - the first being a small catalog that we want to assemble. This catalog would demonstrate the different artisan crafts available within out communities to different shops. I should’ve started by saying that most people at this meeting had a group of artisans in their community – whether it be pottery, hammocks, or seed jewelry.

The second part of the meeting was spend on discussing how to form the beginning of a manual-type thing. It would be used to help future volunteers organize income growth opportunities within their communities. It would cover things like selecting a project (making sure you’re not doing the same thing as everyone else or assessing an opportunity you can take advantage of), basic math…things of that nature.

Overall, it was an interesting meeting. It didn’t go in the direction I thought it would, though maybe that’s good. It’ll be interesting to see how it works out in the end.

After all that fun, we just kinda hung around. I caught up on gossip – someone had old magazines. It was just a blah kinda night.

Sunday – not a bad day. After getting up, getting moving and eating, we were off! The group divided into two groups. One group went to check out another volunteers site and then the soccer game. My group chose to head over to a war museum (yes, very interesting. It was presented more from the perspective of the gorillas, but well done.) After that, we checked out a memorial as Mozote. Mozote is where a massacre occurred during the civil war – about 1000 people were killed. They included men, women and children. We had a wonderful guide who explained how the squadron of soldiers tricked the people into coming out and showed us where they were killed. It is a beautiful memorial and I highly recommend seeing if in town.

From there, it was getting a little late. I kinda wanted to head back to the capital so that I could catch a bus back to my site. I was told that wasn’t going to happen and instead we went on a hike….yey. We went down to the river Zapo and hiked for 30 minutes – well…it was suppose to be 30 minutes. A young Salvadorian kid approached us from behind an offered to lead us to the waterfall that was only 20 minutes away. Long story short – after an hour we had yet to arrive at the waterfall so we turned around and went back. It was a little bit of a bitch of a hike since I wasn’t wearing shoes meant for hiking – flip flops with an inch thick sole.

We made it back to the car around 3:30ish? Not sure – but then proceeded to rush back to the capital in a vain effort to get other people back in time for their buses. Yup, I was mad. I was more mad at the fact that I had to stay in the capital – it’s the end of the month and I don’t have enough money right now to cover such frivolous expenses. There was also the fact that I promised to help a friend with her English homework on Sunday night – that didn’t happen either.

So, Monday morning I got up early and got myself back to my site. Ya es todo.

No comments: