Friday, May 23, 2008

COSing

From the airport, I took a taxi to a gas station on the side of the highway. Waited about 5 minutes until a PC vehicle packed with volunteers arrived and they picked me up. We were on our way to Costa del Sol (a beach) for our COS (close of service) conference.

It lasted from Wednesday till Friday and covered all we had to do in the next 2.5 months in order to leave. I think there is more stuff to do to leave PC then to join it. It really is a time where you’re confronted with the fact that you need to start finishing up work and saying good-bye.

It was also a good time to catch up with volunteers from my group that I hardly see. It’s interesting to see how people have changed and what their plans are. We also went around and talked about why we joined and why we stayed.

On Thursday, we also received letters we had written to ourselves back in training. I know myself so well that I advised myself not to panic in the face of the upcoming turmoil of change. Quite humorous.

Friday, we wrapped everything up and headed back to the capitol. That night Lisa, our country director, was nice enough to invite us over to her house for a dinner. She had it catered Italian style – it was great food and great wine. It was also good conversation.

Saturday I just killed time. I checked out a pottery fair (yes, my artisans were there) with another volunteer. I did buy a few pieces and my artisans were nice enough to transport them back to the community with their stuff even though I didn’t buy all of the pieces from them.

Sunday I checked out centro en San Salvador with Alison and Erin. Centro is a huge flea market type thing in the center of the capitol. It’s interesting to walk though – they have everything – but I don’t recommend going alone. And if you do go, carry as little with you as possible – thefts are common. But, if you can go in a small group, it’s worth it.

Sunday night is when we (my group) got to have dinner with our old program director. He had moved to Belize to pursue another position in PC, so it was great to see him one last time. After dinner, we headed over to TGI Fridays for dessert and drinks.

Monday is when I finally got to go home. I stared off at the PC office to set up appointments and then worked my way out to my site. Thankfully, I arrived around 1ish, which allowed me to call my muchacha and have her come to wash. I’m hoping the clothes dry quickly…I only have enough clothing for two days.
It’s now Tuesday and I’m writing in the office and trying to catch up on everything. I’m also recovering from so much time away. But all in all – a good time

No comments: