Friday, June 06, 2008

Then everything gets moldy....

Last Friday (that would be the 30th of May) it started to rain and has done so, off and on, for about a week now. Normally, this wouldn’t be a problem….but down here it can be for a number of reasons. The number one reason – mold. It just appears everywhere – tablecloth, stove, clothes…everywhere. The mugginess also prevents clothes that you wash from drying. I’m not sure how much clothing I have left before things start to get tricky.

Other then that, things continue to speed up.

On Monday (June 2nd) I went to San Rafael Cedros near San Vicente. Why? To say good-bye to my old host family from training. Things over there have changed a whole lot. The 17 year old is 6 months pregnant and will be having a shot gun wedding within a week. I asked the mother why she didn’t tell me earlier – she responded that they only told her about the pregnancy two weeks ago. I think the mother was in a little bit of denial here ‘cause that girl was definitely heavier then the last time I saw her. The son is out of school and looking for a job – he decided not to go to college. And the eldest daughter now has a boyfriend.

It was good seeing them. I took them out to dinner as a final way of saying thanks and good-bye. The next morning I gave them final hugs and good wishes and was off.

After saying good bye, I headed off to my Spanish interview. PC interviews you at the beginning and end of your service to grade you level of Spanish. The interview lasts about an hour. I believe I got the level I thought I was, but I’ll wait for the official paperwork before announcing.

On my way back to the capital, I stopped by San Sebastian. The town is known for its woven fabrics. They make bed covers on old fashioned looms. I decided to pick myself up one since I wouldn’t be on that side of the country again.

Once I picked it up, I headed to San Sal. I had some things to do in the office and by the time I was done, I didn’t have any energy to head back to my pueblo…so I stayed in the capital. It can be nice to eat subway while watching Law & Order – what a great show.

I got back to my pueblito on Wednesday and proceeded to iron clothes. Why? See the first paragraph on mold – ironing is one of a few ways to dry out damp clothing. I would hang it up behind the refrigerator – but that just seems like a fire hazard.

And now it’s Friday and I’m just chillin in the town hall.

No comments: