Monday, June 23, 2008

bumps

Last Saturday was my first shot on the pottery wheel. We were suppose to meet at 8:30am, but he was nice enough to call me at 5:40am to change the time to 1pm. So, we met at 1pm and started the fun. I learned the basics of raising and lowering the clay in a column form. I then moved on and made one ugly plate. I seem to have a problem keeping the pieces base connected to the rest – so I’m often left with a ring shaped thing. Overall it was fun, the only thing was that it left me with a blister on my foot – the wheel was foot powered.

Sunday marked the beginning of the soccer tournament. I was the godmother for Ricardo’s team. This basically entails me gifting them a soccer ball and taking a pic. Unfortuantly, their game started later then it should have and I couldn’t stay for the full thing, though I heard they won.

Why couldn’t I stay? Monday was when I started my COS (close of service) medical. It’s kinda a full check-up Peace Corps does before you leave. Your last chance to bring up concerns and have things checked out. It was starting early on Monday, so I went into the capitol late Sunday so as to not have to be unfriendly at 5am in the morning.

I am pleased to announce I have only one cavity…I’ll go get that filled next week.

But that’s not what took up the most time, but took up the most time is a bump on the bottom of my right foot. Now, I’ve had it for over a year, but I decided that this was last call so I should mention it. First, the nurse checked it out, said she didn’t know what it was and made an appointment for the dermatologist for the following day. I went to him, he poked at it (and yes, it is a sensitive little thing) and declared that he had no idea what it was. So, he sent me to get a sonogram of it. I went into the sonogram office and they checked it out. I think the assistant was a little confused as to where it was a first cause she said I had to take off my pants – I declined and just rolled them up. Then the person who works the machine came in and did her magic. It turns out it’s a bump within a bump – they could tell me nothing more. From there, I was referred to a podiatrist (bones and muscle guy). He was really sorry that he could tell me nothing but to refer me back to the dermatologist. No, I didn’t go back to the dermatologist – my file has been sent to Washington and maybe they can figure it out. I’ll keep you updated.

My only complaints with COS medical deal with transport. You have to see a lot of doctors and none are near to the others. So, you wind up walking…a lot and using overly expensive buses (the fee went up to $.35 for a few days before the government stepped in to subsidize). The hotel the PC uses is nice, but is in the middle of nowhere – not close to food so you wind up ordering in and that’s even more expensive.

I was finally able to leave Friday. First, went to centro (giant market in center of San Salvador) to do some cesta (nice plastic bag – see jenny’s) shopping. That place is huge! It’s also a little scary, so I got in and out quick. After a quick lunch with another volunteer, I was on the bus back to my pueblito. It felt soo good to sleep in my own bed and watch my soap operas (not all volunteers like soap operas so I don’t always get a chance to watch them when I’m away from my pueblito).

Unfortunately, while I was a way a number of bats decided to call my place home. So, I spent a while Saturday cleaning up bat shit and the little pieces of fruit they leave behind. That night, I kept the lights on for as long as I could with the hope of scaring them away. Usually, if I can catch them one with the lights they leave me alone for a while. If they don’t, I’ll throw some fresh garlic up on the top of the walls… I hear it discourages them from coming in.

Sunday was the soccer tournament. My team won its second game in a row! It was a fun hanging out at the field, but it was brutally hot as well. I hid under some shade for most of the time. Usually such heat means rains on its way, and it didn’t fail this time. I was relaxin at my house around 7:30pm when I felt the breeze pick up. I then lit some candles ‘cause I knew the power wasn’t going to survive the night…and it didn’t. It cut out about 3 minutes after I had finished my routine of brushing my teeth and getting ready for bed. I have such good timing.

Now it’s Monday the 23rd and I’m in the town hall. I have a birthday celebration this afternoon to attend and from there more books. I’ll let you know how it goes.

No comments: