Thursday, March 08, 2007

AIDS

AIDS

If you remember, a few weeks ago I took three students to a weekend camp about AIDS. This past Tuesday and Wednesday, we completed the project by repeating the charlas in 6 different classes.

The beginning was just a basic definition of AIDS and how it affects the body. Next, we set up a true or false game. Each student was given a piece of paper with a statement on it, They then had to say whether it was true or false. Later, we went into explanations of why something was true or something else false. It was an effective way - considering the time constraints and the attention span of the average teenager.

It was a little trying at times because some classes were horribly mis-behaved and the teacher usually left during the charla (presentation). I can’t say I’m all that effective at controlling students since I still screw up on my Spanish…it doesn’t really enforce the in charge image you want with kids of that age.

So, in the end, I’m glad I did it, but it was tiring.

No comments: