Monday, March 05, 2007

a nice long weekend

A nice long weekend

Friday came and I went to San Salvador! All the girls in my group decided to get together and have a girls night! It was great.

We all met up at the Princess – a nice hotel – and relaxed pool side, then jacuzzi side. It was a great time to catch up with what was going on in everyone’s life. I am now back in the loop…at least for now. I’ll probably be out of the loop by the end of the week – but that’s ok.

We treated ourselves to a nice dinner and then just hung out in the room. That’s right…12 of us shared one room. I slept on the floor.

The next day – Saturday – I did some shopping. I didn’t mean to, but I found this cute little shirt and since it was only $5, I went for it. I only hope Maryann doesn’t steal it when she comes to visit. I might hide it. I also looked at some birds…if you didn’t know, I’m looking for a cute pair of birds to have as pets – I’m not a cat person and dogs are just too much work down here. I went to the pet shop, but they wanted $150 for a pair!! I was like – I think not.

Later that day, I traveled out to Apaneca with a few other volunteers to go on a full moon hike. That’s right, at about 8 or 9pm, about 19 of us climbed up about an hour to a nice spot on the side of the mountain under the full moon. It was really quite beautiful. There came this one point where we were all standing on some sort of small wall in a line. It was quite picturesque to see a group standing in a line in the moonlight. I’ll have to hunt down someone who has that pic.

Any who, when we got up there we set up two tents and started a fire. We even had smoores! There was a little party with bluegrass music playing and bottles of wine all around. A good time was had by all. Though, I must say…it was cold. I slept outside and was freezing even though I had on two layers of pants, 2 shirts, a fleece, socks and shoes, and a fleece sleep bag thingy. At some point in the night I woke up really cold and then Erin offered to let me snuggle with her…I said yes.

So, needless to say….I didn’t sleep either Friday night nor Saturday night. But that’s ok.

Sunday was a long day just because I was so tired. On our way back from Apaneca, we stopped in at Guayua. It was a touristy town that has a food festival every Sunday along with a nice size market. We chowed down on Mexican food and had a look around town. Angi bought a puppy…a German Shepard puppy. The father of this puppy was like a small pony. But, she fell in love and took that puppy back with her. I looked around for birds, but only found types that I didn’t like. I talked with the woman and I was able to talk down here price by over $10 – but I still didn’t want them. Though, I am proud of my bargaining skills – go me!

After all that, I was thrilled to get my but back to my site. I think I was asleep by 8:30pm and very happy to be so.

No comments: