Monday, March 19, 2007

Another weekend in El Salvador

Another weekend in El Salvador

So, I won’t lie…I’ve been in a funk. I think I’m starting to enter into that “I hate El Salvador” stage, so you’ll have to forgive the blog entries with a negative tone. Most volunteers experience this and I am told it will not last forever. One can only hope.

Where to begin….

I have birds! Or at least it use to be in the plural. He is a green, small parrot. I had two, but one escaped Saturday night while I was changing the food in their cage. I would like to think he’s still out there, but…he probably wound up being food for a bigger animal. All well…at least I still have one.

Well, before all that fun … Iris and I enrolled in a competition! We’re gonna make an ‘alfombra,’ or carpet, out of salt, sand, ash and food coloring. It’s this cool thing they do every year on Good Friday. I can’t wait to try and make it. I’ll keep you guys updated on that.

Otherwise, I wound up going to Heidy’s sister’s Sweet 15 Saturday afternoon. That’s right, they celebrate the 15th birthday, not the 16th. It was a little on the boring side because they are evangelicals. There fore, you cannot dance….it’s against the rules. Neither can you drink or do anything fun. Hehehe. I had the pleasure of sitting with Jessica and her cousin. Her cousin is in the US working and just down visiting for a few weeks. At first it was nice with a good conversation, then the cousin started to like me. So, of course, by the end of the party he wanted to take me out on a date and was asking for my number. I politely declined. Guys here can be quite forceful and insistent. They just don’t get that I may not be interested in dating.

So, that finished up Saturday.

Sunday was a good day to. Iris and I went to a resort type thing with Victoria and her husband. They are a great couple and always very good to me. Well, first we went to this event at an NGO. The NGO, AGAPE, was celebrating it’s anniversary. So, we checked out a band or two and ate before heading out. At the resort thing, I got to ride a horse for a few minutes for free! It was fun. Though, it was western style….it still felt good. Then I just chilled in the pool and in the hammock. It was sweet. They’ve invited me to join them in hiking a small volcano during the coming weeks. I said yes, but that we’ll have to go slowly. In exchange for how nice they are, the husband asked me to come to his school one day just to talk in English with a group of girls. He would of course provide the ride…so I told him yes and to plan it for the 9th or 10th of April…when Maryann will be hear and can help. I’m sure she’ll love it. Bwa ha ha ha ha.

We got back really late, but the disturbing thing was the trip. We passed by an accident, and there in the middle of the road was someone who had been struck by a car. They were trying to cover him from view with branches, but he was still visible. I wonder what happened.

Alright…now to get back to trying to find a ride to go buy bricks and molasses. Don’t ask.

1 comment:

Dirty Flamingo said...

I was doing some reflecting today and I though, "Wow, in two months it would have been a year since arriving in El Salvador!"

If that's not crazy, I don't know what is. (This is a rhetorical statement, of course).

If time keeps passing in this manner you'll be visiting us in Australia in no time :)