Sunday, April 29, 2007

Rafting

So, I believe that brings us to the 18th. Maryann and I got to the hotel around 8pmish. It was good for what we wanted it for, a place to sleep for a few hours before our next days activities. Plus, I was able to get us a Peace Corps discount – since that is the hotel the volunteers use. Otherwise, it was a pretty run down place.

Our final activity of an amazing trip was river rafting. They picked us up at 6:30am and took us to their business center, which is about 2 hours away from the capitol. Apparently, we went through three different types of forest – a cloud, a rain and another type that I can’t remember. I love it when tour companies try and sell the bus trip as part of the adventure. It’s not, it’s a bus trip – get over it.

Anywho, the trip was broken up between those who were there for two days and those who were going to do it all in one day. We were part of the first group. We were paired up with a pair from Salt Lake City and a prankster guide. The other two couples on the trip were very obviously from the hard core business sector. It was fun talking to them.

Anyway, we paddled until 3 or 4pm. We made stops for lunch, waterfalls and cool pools. The rapids weren’t to bad, since they are still in the dry season. Though, you could tell when a big rapid was coming up since the photographer would paddle up ahead.

We pulled in the lodge and just chilled for a little while. Maryann and I checked out small pools and waterfalls before finally succumbing to the call of the hammocks.

That night everyone crashed early. We ate a fabulous dinner – they even prepared me tuna instead of beans since they found out about my bean problem. Afterward, I proceeded to beat the photographer at 4 out of 5 rounds of connect five. He assord me he was letting me win out of courtesy.

The next morning was started with a wonderful breakfast – I even helped a guy out who h a type of bee land in his syrup….he wasn’t so pleased. Otherwise, we had a hike up to a water slide. The water was definitely cooler up there. It was a fun little slide, but I think we were more interested in continuing down the river. It was at this little waterfall that I realized that I had failed to put my contacts in. So, Maryann being the wonderful sister she is, fastened a glasses stabilizer system out of medical tape…it’s a shame we don’t have photographic evidence.

Anyway, we paddled our butts off and had a great time doing it. I randomly got knocked off the boat, and our guide had us paddle head first into a very large rock. We believed right to the very end that he would turn us…he didn’t. Maryann and I thought it was hilarious, the others not so much. Maryann and I also got a ride from the kayaker when we fell to far behind our boat. Yup…he had to work hard to get us back – because of the life vests of course.

At the end, we all piled back on the bus for the ride back to the center for some lunch. It was a good lunch. Then they gave us rides back to our hotels. Maryann and I switched hotels and went to the Best Western – which turned out to be a great idea. It had a free shuttle service to the airport, a free happy hour and free internet. Score!

I celebrated my last night with a hot bath, a steak dinner and the theft of Maryann’s stuff. Bwa ha ha ha ha.

No comments: