Thursday, June 07, 2007

A mesh of stuff....

So, the weekend was actually a little busy, but not in a bad way.

Saturday was spent cleaning – house really needed it, making cookies – I really needed them, doing some shopping and finally winding up over at Rachael’s place.

I got there earlier then either she or I expected. She was playing some soccer with some friends. We soon just headed back to her place and chilled. We ate cookies and avocados (not together, but still). Most of the time was spent chit chatting and catching up. She leaves in July – she’s done with her service. I’m actually hoping to steal some stuff from her….bwa ha ha ha ha! Anyway, we then watched ‘Volunteers’ – it’s a Tom Hanks and John Candy movie about life in the Peace Corps….

Any who, that was that night and the next morning I headed back to my site after some French toast. I head to get back for a baptism party - I had picked up a small present the day before…a little t-shirt that said New York. So, I had to get all dressed up for the party and that brought on the usual comments about how I should always dress that way from Sonia. Right…I don’t need provoke more comments on a daily basis. It was a nice little party, but it only lasted about 2 hours and when people were done eating, they left.

I then spent the rest of the day lazily in my house relaxing…it was quite nice.

Then Monday brought the week on – errrrr….

Somehow I was put in charge of an artisan market for the Patron Saint Festivals – which I’m actually kinda happy about. This entails contacting the artisans (which I already have done and have found some others to come), getting the opening day going and things of that nature. It’s kind of exciting.

My presentation for the community development group was cancelled. They need to get themselves organized – they want a project but they can’t even get together for an hour and a half for some trainings. This could be interesting.

So, I was going well for the week until Tuesday night – then I got horribly ill. I mean, horribly. I’ll save you the details, but just know I didn’t sleep for most of the night.

This means Wednesday was spent – first - visiting the doc and getting medicine and second – sleeping in my hammock. I just couldn’t get up.

Thankfully – the medicine worked quickly and I was able to head up to Rachael’s grand inauguration of her trash cans. It was a nice time and I even got a recycling contact out of the deal. The company wants to come to my little community and start buying recyclables also. I gave this information to the environmental agent in my alcaldia and she looked at be and got mad that I didn’t take her to the inauguration….fabulous.

That pretty much brings me to the next weekend. You see, I had to head into the capital on Friday – nurse wanted to make sure I was alright. Traveled all that way for a five minute consult with the nurse, but it was worth it. I had a nice night in the capital. Went to dinner with friends, decorated a cake and watched bad movies. Side note – it took me an hour and a half to decorate the cake cause I spelled out everything in sprinkles. Don’t ask me why.

Saturday morning I just took it easy and did some shopping with another volunteer. It was great to just chitchat and pick up some good food at the same time.

Sunday was spent – cleaning again. That house gets filthy during the week. Probably from the large (and I do mean large) rats that scurry around.

Hard to explain – but it was just a good weekend.

Now it’s back to Monday and work.

No comments: