Friday, December 28, 2007

Vacation at Last!

The final week leading up to the 19th flew by!

Work wise - I pretty much acted as though I was already on vacation. I did tie up some loose ends though...mainly dealing with the artisans. Andrea Ramos fired her kiln before actually putting any pieces in - it seems to have worked since none of her comales broke. And right before leaving I learned that Maria Irene fired again and nothing broke in her kiln either - so onward and upward with the project!

Personally - I spent a lot of time getting things organized. I was finally brave enough to open my suitcase and clean it out. Proud to state there was nothing living in their.

I also attended a surprise birthday party for the sister of Don Justo (the mayor). Mostly because I'm pretty close to his family...hell...Iris is his daughter- in-law. Well, it was meant to be a surprise party but I ruined that. I went into Sonsonate earlier then everyone else because I had to pick up some medicine (yes, i got sick before going home) and then walked over to a friends house that is right in front of the birthday girls house. Well, she saw me and figured out that gringas don't arrive without reason. I didn't mean to kill it - but I guess that just happens sometimes.

It turned out to be a really nice evening. We participated in the procession that happens every night during Advent. They take a small Jesus statue and bring him to a new house every night. I recognized the tune of most of the songs, i just couldn't sing the words.

Soon enough it was Wednesday and I was off to the airport. I was wise enough to tell Don Justo I needed a ride to the airport at 12, knowing full well that we would never leave at 12. First we had to turn back to get authorization to buy gas, then we had to give a ride to some people down to Don Justo's ranch - I've gotten good at this stuff.

But then I was off!

No comments: