Friday, December 28, 2007

All the fun of home!

I boarded my flight around 4:30pm and settled in for the 5 hour flight. I was seated next to a elder Salvadorian lady. She breached normal flying rules when she didn't move to the empty seat next to her. You know what I mean, I was seated in the aisle and she was in the middle seat - she didn't move to the window seat. Anyway, the flight attendants promptly dispersed the immigration forms and I filled my out. All this while the woman sitting next to me is watching. When I was done, she turned to me and asked me to fill her's out - I thought this sounded shady and asked her to repeat. It then dawned on me - she didn't know how to write. So, I took her passport, visa, address and all and filled out the forms. Don't worry - I did ask her all the questions about livestock and bringing food into the country.

After that we just chit chatted occasionally, though - I think she had trouble understanding me and my accent. All well.

Once we landed, I quickly ran through immigration (which isn't hard to do at 10:30pm) and waited for my luggage....why am i always the last person to get their luggage. But it was all good once I exited and there was PJ waiting for me - what a good brother. He remembered to bring a coat, since it is cold as hell up here, and took me for some late night food.

I stayed with him for the night before flying down to SC. He even gave me a couple of bucks for the trip. I gotta tell you, I nearly passed out when I had to pay over $6 for a muffin and a hot chocolate. It was frightening.

Anyway, I finally got down and, of course, my father was there awaiting me!

Thus, I spent the next few days with parents. Yes, I was horribly spoiled with food and shopping. I won't go in to the debauchery, but i will mention the excess time in hot showers I spent.

On the 23rd of December, we started the long journey up to Connecticut. We went a little further then halfway before stopping at family to spend the night.

No comments: