Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Three am wake-up call

Later that same week, I believe the 29th of November I believe, my artisans were invited to go sell at the embassy themselves. I, being the strategic volunteer that I am...alright, maybe it was another volunteer’s idea, anyway - i managed to store the stuff at the embassy so I wouldn’t have to bring it all back. This time around, though, the artisans wanted to be there at 6am, meaning we left at 4amish. It was really harsh getting up at 3:30am....but I managed. The pick-up ride out there was cold - I have no idea what I’m going to do in cold of NY.

Anyway, the sale went ok. I don’t think they sold as much as they wanted to, but enough. I also picked up a few things including a piece of black pottery. It is a type of pottery that is sold on the other side of the country. My artisans called me a traitor...what can i say.

That night was spent celebrating the swearing-in of new volunteers. I can’t say I enjoyed it as much...probably cause I was exhausted. I stumbled into bed at 4:30am on Friday and slept quite nicely.

Saturday I somehow got suckered into climbing two volcanoes...that’s right, two. Iris, Irwin,Victoria and I braved it and succeeded! The trail begins at the top of one volcano (you take a bus/car to get up there) called Cerro Verde. You walk down that volcano, then walk up Izalco, down Izalco and up Cerro Verde. It takes a little over 4 hours in total and I am still hurting. The best part was definitely coming back down Izalco. The volcano only stopped erupting in the ´60s and thus is just made of ash, rock and pumice. It´s still hot in the center, some of the rocks are warm and when the rain water enters, it comes back out a vapor. To come down Izalco, you start a mini avalanche beneath your feet and walk on top of it - really cool. It can best be compared to skiing. The worst part was coming back up Cerro Verde - 1,300 stairs. Ouch!

Sunday was recovery time and checking out the soccer tournament. I won’t say much about it, but that the ref left there running.

And that brings us to this week....nothin going on. I believe this is where I start my count down till visiting home in NY - 15 days!

No comments: