Friday, January 18, 2008

Settling Back In

I gotta say, things feel like they are moving pretty slowly. Maybe it’s just that I haven’t gotten back into the swing of things. Or maybe it’s that the large chunk of the artisan projects is finished, so I’m not running around as much. All well – just means I’ve been reading a little more.

On Monday I went out to Caulote (a canton of my municipality) to check out a school that had been damaged by the fierce winds that had ripped through town. We didn’t have a key to get into the school, but easily found a spot where the fence was lifted sufficiently. Somehow a gordita joke was told….I wasn’t pleased. Afterward, we took the truck and checked out the new road that was being built. It’s a dirt road and hasn’t been leveled out very well. Thus, we got stuck at the bottom of a hill and couldn’t get the truck out. Two guys finally came along and stood in the back of the truck to give it the extra weight it needed. Before the guys came, they driver way eying Heidy and I to stand in the back. I won’t comment further.

There is also an English/Lebanese artist visiting my community, I believe in search of inspiration. I won’t talk too much about her since she’s not my type of person, but I’m hopeful she can teach my artisans a thing or two before she leaves.

I’ve also introduced Rummicube to my Salvo friends and they are utterly addicted. I mean scary sort of addicted. Last night I was challenged by Iris’s husband to a few games – thankfully, I kicked his little ass to the curb. Bwa ha ha ha.

Otherwise, there isn’t too much going on. For now, I’ll aprovechar (take advantage of) the free time and start studying for the Foreign Service exam. (Thanks for the book PJ!)

No comments: