Monday, February 04, 2008

Birthday y mas!

It’s been a little hectic – sorry, forgive the tardiness.

I’ll start with before my birthday. I spend Wednesday night over at Sonia’s house. Why? Sonia went to spend the night at her boyfriend’s house and Mayra didn’t want to be alone in the house or sleep over at Iris’s place. So, enter the gringa. That night I figured out why Mayra doesn’t like to sleep alone…she is mad paranoid.

Thursday I went to the project inauguration for the construction of 6 new classrooms at the local school. I was shocked and I do mean shocked when everything was actually ready on time. Of course, nobody showed till a half hour later and then we had to wait another hour for the governor of Sonsonate to show up…no so shocking.

Afterward Don Justo pulled me aside and told me that he wanted me to go to a dance the following night – the governor had personally asked the mayor to bring me…I told him there was no shot in hell of that happening. You may be asking why, but remember – the following night was my birthday and I wasn’t going to spend it alone at a dance with Don Justo. There is also the fact that I don’t like being treated like the pet of Don Justo – if you’d like me to go to a dance, ask me.

Anyway, now lets skip to my b-day! It was actually a slow, nice day. I slept late, made myself pancakes and finished up a book. I played with the internet, made cupcakes (or at least some cupcakes….that batter is soo good), and then spent the rest of the time with Iris. Yup – they all chipped in together and made me a dinner…panes rellenos (chicken sandwich esk… but much better). I even got presents – a bag (actually, I got two of these, in exactly the same colors), stuffed animals and those little $1 ceramic things you find in the dollar store. I love them all.

And yes, everyone remembered to call….Sonia at 6am. That woman is evil sometimes.

Saturday I packed up and took my show on the road. I headed into the capital to sun bath next to the pool (the Sheraton allows volunteers and embassy staff to use the pool and gym for free whenever…love them), did some shopping and then headed out to dinner to Bennie Hanna’s with friends. That’s right…we have one of those down here. It actually all went by pretty quick.

Sunday is when my luck started to slide. I had organized a meeting with volunteers up in Juayua to take advantage of a food festival that goes on there. Well…I was the only one who showed. I wouldn’t have minded so much except for the fact that that is extra buses for me. By the time I got home, I just crashed.

Monday I went back into the San Salvador. Why? On Tuesday we were leaving for the Municipal Development In Service Training (muni ist) and a ride was being offered, but the ride was to leave at 8am. So, instead of leaving my site at 5 or so am, I went in on Monday. It turned out for the best since that’s when I went to the doc and got diagnosed with blastosis (something that lives in your stomach).

I started taking the medicine that night and it’s strong stuff – so by Tuesday morning I had nausea…just what you want when heading into a 4 hour car ride.

We finally arrived and I hung on all afternoon long. But, I started having increasing joint pain. That’s when I knew I had a UTI. So, that night was when the fever hit and my knees really hurt.

I slept half of wed away.

Thursday is when I said goodbye to my Boss. I spent most of that morning crying. He’s moving to Belize with Peace Corps….maybe I’ll follow him.

Thursday afternoon was spent in the car with the nausea again. I won’t speak of Thursday night…though we did watch the debate.

Friday was when I was diagnosed with the UTI, along with amebas and a bacterial infection. I am currently heavily drugged and feeling much better. Thanks.

No comments: