Friday, August 22, 2008

Bay Islands

The Vacation

So, I got to the capital a little later then I wanted to. I quickly dropped off some stuff at the hostel and then ran over to have lunch with a few friends to say good-bye. That was a little quicker then I wanted it to be.

Natalie and I then ran over to a salon to get some girl things done….I leave the details out. Then we decided to go to a different salon to get our nails done. Getting to the other salon was hell. We were in the cap during the Festivales Patronales so it was pandemonium. So, the bus we thought would cut around everything, instead took us to the center of the action. We hopped off the bus and ran to the other side of the activities to get on a quicker bus. While waiting to grab another bus, a micro bus hit me with its side view mirror between the shoulder blades. Thankfully, it was only going about5mph – but still. After that, we gave up and got in a cab.

We got in the other salon just in time. I let Nat get the first seat for a pedicure and thought I would just be waiting a few minutes. Instead they called me over to do my pedicure in another part of the salon – I figured maybe they had another area…I was wrong. I got a bucket in the middle of the salon with lukewarm water. It was great.

That night we had dinner with another friend as a goodbye dinner.

Thurday morning we were off to the Bay Islands in Honduras. It was a total of about three flights to get there. The first flight was good, the second and third were in prop planes. I’ve never really been in a prop plane like those.

Anyway, we got to the island and settled in. We also picked out our dive shop. I can’t say we did too much more then diving and watching the Olympics. Ohh..we did manage to take some walks on the beach and eat cookie dough.

Joe and I complete two dives towards our Advanced Open Water certification – peak performance buoyancy and our deep dive. The buoyancy one was extremely useful – it helped us determine how much weight we should be using and how to float ‘neutrally’ (for example, if you could stay at 15ft below the surface without much work…neither sinking or rising). We decided to do the deep dive since there was a sunk ship. We went to a depth of 105ft…it was really fun.

Now, as you may have noticed, I only said Joe and I. After our third dive, Natalie’s ear was in bad shape. As we were doing our deep dive, she went to the hospital to have it checked out. Let’s just say it’s a damn good thing she didn’t do the deep dive.

After the deep dive…which I think was on Monday….we hopped on to local transportation for a cheap tour of the island. We were gone for about 4 hours and saw some really beautiful sights. Though, I will admit that during the ride I did sneak in a 20min nap. The bus route for our driver ended on the other side of the island, but since he was headed back our way we let us stay on the bus and acted as a tour guide. It was really nice of him and we paid him almost everything we had in our pockets…which may or may not of been enough to cover the ride.

That night we treated ourselves to a good Thai restaurant and enjoyed the Olympics.

Tuesday was our flight back to El Salvador. Now, they don’t mention when you enter Honduras that you’re going to have to pay $34 to leave the country. This took us all unaware and thank God I had my debit card or I might still be in Honduras.

We got back to San Salvador about 7ish and just went to the estancia to crash. It was a nice vacation and I’m glad I did it.

No comments: