Friday, August 22, 2008

The end

Wednesday (I believe we’re talking about the 13th of August) I woke up early and headed back to my pueblo. Along the way I stopped by a bakery to pick up some items. I think I got into town around 10:15am. This was the hardest day b/c it was the last day.

I’ll explain that below is a minor resumen of what went on…it’s kinda tuff to describe the last day in a place you’ve lived two years in.

I first went and dropped all my stuff off at Iris’s place and quickly caught up with her. Then to Sonia’s. I then walked around town to say good-bye and thank my landlords. From there I headed over to Vilma’s for one final good-bye.

Now, during the Festivales Patronales, I sold many of the smaller items in my house in Iris’s store as a fundraiser for the Casa de Cultura (Culture House). So, I walked over there after a tearful goodbye with Vilma to make the donation. They were very thankful.

The rest of the morning I stayed with Iris. She made me my favorite lunch (meat filled tortillas) as we watch soap operas. She also helped me repack a bunch of my stuff. Now, I was all worried that everything was over weight. So Lito went and got a cool hanging scale to check everything. He prounounced my heaviest bag to be 30…only he didn’t realize that the scale was in kilograms….not pounds. More on that later.

In the afternoon, I headed over to the town hall to say good-bye and eat cake. It was a small but nice little event. I’m still waiting to get the photos from Heidy.

Then it was off the Sonia’s place for the rest of the day. She prepared my favorite food and we drank pina coladas. They gave me a few gifts that I’ll always keep.

That night I could hardly sleep I was soo full. I mean insanely full.

Thursday morning Iris made me pancakes. We chitchatted a little and then at 9am I hopped into the town hall pick up and was off. Neither Iris nor Sonia came…they said it would be too sad and they were right.

It was a nice drive out – calm.

Getting home was a little rough. I had to pay for overweight luggage and my carry on was a little tough to get around since it weighed 40lbs. But, I somehow managed and got home around 11pm to the open arms of my awaiting parents.

And that’s the end of Peace Corps El Salvador for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those meat filled tortillas are called pupusas...

Barbara said...

Pupusas are stuffed (usually with cheese, beans, and chicharron )and then cooked up on a griddle (metal or clay).

These were just tortillas cut up like pita bread, stuffed with beef and then fried in a pan. So, i don't think I would call them pupusas.