Friday, August 22, 2008

The end of the festivales patronales

So where did I leave off… (if you are reading this before the one below, I think you should skip down and them come back to this point…only a suggestion).

Ahh yes, Friday night activities. For a little while Friday afternoon I chilled with Vilma where they were selling (in front of the culture house). That night was the first night of bands…I gotta say I wasn’t all that impressed. The first band’s mics were all off and they sounded terrible. The only people who were able to put on a really good show were the comedians. The fun part this year was that I could actually understand them…for the most part.

Saturday…I don’t quite remember what I did on Saturday. Chances are I was finishing up the house, hanging out with my artisans and everyone else.

Sunday was the big day. In the morning I worked my way over to one of the fields for the carrera de cintas – I was a godmother. I’m pretty sure I was the oldest godmother there – most topped out at 16. Overall it was good, but it started about 3 hours late and that field was horribly hot….there aren’t any trees there anywhere.

From there I worked my way over to the church bbq. Nina Tere invited me the day before and thus I felt obliged to go. I showed up way late (see previous paragraph for reason) and thus there wasn’t really any food…but Tere got up and made me my own plate. It was good.

I quicky ate and then headed over to the other soccer field to watch the ending of the tournament. I’m pleased to announce that my team won the tournament…I think it’s b/c I was their godmother.

After the fun of the tournament, I got to relax in the house for a bit and get ready for the dance. The dance was set up in front of my house with the speakers facing Iris’s house. So, I could get through to her house for the most part, but around 6ish they closed my only pass through. Thankfully, they did allow me to use a ladder and climb through the dj booth to get to my house.

I got ready and then stepped out my front door to watch the parade with the queens go by.

The dance was gonna be great, but then it down poured. The dance was smaller then last year, but still good. The down pour knocked out the power for a little bit, a few minutes at a time.

I left the dance around 1amish, after that hour there are more drunkards then non…so it’s when I leave.

Monday was a quite day around town.

Tuesday was the final day of the festivals patronales. Iris and I went to the other neighborhood (yes, they so do the ‘other neighborhood’ thing down here) to see the palo encebado or the greased up pole. About 10 – 15 drunkards work together (I should note that they’re not drunk yet) to climb the giant greased pole to win a huge bottle of alcohol and $150. It took them a number of tries and I’m surprised nobody broke anything.

Tuesday afternoon I moved almost everything out of the house….sad.

Wednesday was when the move was finished. I left my bags with Iris and ran into the capital to start my vacation with Joe and Natalie.

No comments: