Sunday, June 25, 2006

and then came the rain

I really hope that a sunny day comes along soon. I have two pairs of clean pants, the rest are wet. I also have a number of other clothing just chillin in the rain. Have I mentioned that I´ve learned to wash my own clothes? Not that I do it that often, but still. It involves a lot of scrubbing, beating, water, and wringing. I can assure you that my clothing will not be lasting very long. But back to the rain....it seems to come for several days in a row in the afternoon. Then come a few hot humid days, before we return to rain.

Yesterday we (Sam, Will and I) ref. a game of softball. (I include myself in the group, but i really didn´t make that many calls.....if any calls) This wasn´t a good idea for two reasons. A- it started to rain and they still played, so we were drenched and B- you can´t win no matter what call you make, you´re never gonna make friends that way. I think we´ll stick to just playing softball with them during their practice games. And yes, I play...i run, hit, throw and catch.

I´ve also been going to church every week*. I must say it lasts a little longer then in the US and the last two weekends we´ve had processions after. The first procession was to check out different altars in differnt homes in honor of Corpus Cristi. I´m not sure what this one was for. I also think I´m going to need to ask for a written version of prayers, I don´t understand them when everyone is speaking at the same time.

Otherwise, I´m trying to work on some reading...the newspaper and the dictionary. Since to read one you need to read the other. And working on speaking with my family. I don´t always understand the accent or the local slang. And there is a lot of local slang.

Alright, I think that´s all I have for now. Ohh...I´m finally healthy! The bactrim I took was able to kill off what the Cipro couldn´t. Sweet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So...I'm glad we didn't have processions after church here. I didn't like it if church went past an hour. There is alot of rain up here too if your wondering. Everyone seems impressed you have a blog and e-mail, but flush the toilet with a bucket. I do understand that cause I did that at kenny's shop for 2 years. Acutally, I didn't always understand what everyone else was saying at kenny's shop either. It almost sounds like Kenny's shop was a third world country too. Hope Uncle Ken doesn't see this. Well, miss you Barbara and I am constantly updating all my friends as they constantly ask about you.
I'll talk to you soon
Love
PJ

Anonymous said...

Hey Barbara,
I was told I could not swear on this thing by your brother. I did want to say good bye and good luck, (not like you already down there already). But you have to be carefull, they have all these crazy things down there.(I have no idea what I am talking about so I'll stop) Anyway, hope your doing well, have fun, and keep smiling!!
Joey