Wednesday, June 21, 2006

What´s going on in El Salvador

Hey Everyone!

As usual, my entry will be jumping around a lot......sorry.

I guess I´ll start with the weekend. We just kinda hung around on Saturday and tried to talk with different people. We walked through the market, which consisted of a cattle auction and different people selling different stuff. We listened to a guitarist and then played cards in the park. No one would join us for cards....wonder why. Then we went and watched soccer with Sam´s family. Thank God the US didn´t lose.....i always get such shit from people when they do.
We then talked with his family about families in general and how they were affected by the war. They talked about the mass immigration from the country, the decrease in family size nowadays, and some of the relations in the family. An example is how the children can live with their parents until they are married, then they´re out. But if they have kids and are not married, they can stay.
After that we hit up my host mother and chated about religion. Out community is mostly catholic. She is a very religious woman and explain her beliefs very well. But it was also evident that there was a split between catholics and evangelicals. It´ll be interesting to see how that plays out in my community.
On Sunday I checked out mass for Corpis Cristi, which lasted about 4 and 1/2 hours. During the last hour or so we processed from house to house looking at different altars. It was beautiful, but a little long for my tastes. There was another mass at 4pm, I went and played softball instead. Which wasn´t as bad as I remeber it being in high school. I caught, ran and hit.....go me!
Anyway...then came Monday morning.....So, the cipro that was suppose to kill my stomach infection only made it more angry. It managed to kill off the weak ones and leave the strong ones. This translates to me having a fever, chills, nausea, dizzyness and fatigue. But no worries, i´m now on an even stronger antibotics....they go nicely with my rabies shot, tetanus shot and malaria pills. I feel like a pharmacy. But my Senora has been very nice. She´s made me soup and warm bucket baths.
Otherwise, not too much going on. I thought we had a rooster, but it appears now that it´s a hen.....since it laid an egg. My bad. But it is a myth that roosters or hens only crow in the morning...they do it all night long.
That´s all I got for now! Later!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara, you write such wonderfuly interesting stuff about where you live, who are you hanging around the most with, other peace corp people or family members? I'm concerned about your stomach! thats a mom thing, well love you much Mom

Anonymous said...

barb-
I miss you SOOOOOO much!!!!! I hope you're having a lot of fun. Mom printed out the email and I saw the internet address. I love youuuu


-Abby

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»