Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Chichontepec (mountain of two breasts)



I can´t belive I climed all 2,180 meters.

That´s right, this little ehlen got up a huge ass volcano.

We started climbing at approximatly 6:45am and I didn´t reach the summit until noon! It was a bitch of a climb with some serious inclines. As usual, I started off with the first pack and slowly made my way to the back of the pack. For a good portion, I walked it alone. Everyone either walked faster or slower...alright 1 or 2 walked slower. It was mad scary when I walked alone since the path sometimes diverged and I had to guess which way to go. At one point I really felt lost, but then I looked down and found a footprint. It´s amazing how the littlest things can be so reassuring and that you find them when you need them. Though, sometimes it was nice walking alone. Otherwise, the person would be infront of me and turn the bend before me....then I would either here a ¨ohh hell¨laughter or a wimper.

After arriving at the top (Yes everyone..I made it to the top), I just plopped down and had a peanut butter sandwich...such a treat. I´m serious, they don´t really like peanut butter down here. Anyway, at the top is actually a military post. I believe they just rotate every week who stays up there. The guy was cool and showed some of us a different view (I wasn´t so inspired to move, so i didn´t see the view). After, we chilled on the helicopter pad. I also recieved/made some phone calls. I thought I would have better reception....being that I was sitting right next to a tower, but I guess it was the wrong company.

After about an hour, it was time to descende. It took about 3 and 1/2 hours to get back down that thing. Your legs get so tired that more of us fell on the way down then the way up. I must admit, the entire way down I kept saying to myself, ¨I can´t believe I climed the whole thing.¨ A girl also made me paranoid (and you know who you are!) that pervious trainee´s toes had turned black from the pressure of being forced into the front of the shoe. Thankfully, mine haven´t. The walk down was frustrating for mainly one reason. You would stop and look out over this beautiful view, breathtaking even....then you would realize that you were nowhere near being down the mountain.

After we all met up at the bottom it was time to head home. I got home, ate, showered and went to bed. I was exhausted.

No comments: