Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My Site!

Friday morning I got up and got my ass to my site. Alright, maybe Friday afternoon. Hey, I had to enjoy one more hot shower, one more visit to the mall for Burger King, one last hug from other trainees.

Thankfully two other trainees were going the same way as I. We left around noon and took the bus to sonsonate. There was a pretty good Jackie Chan movie playing all the way. Hey, who am I to judge. In Sonsonate we broke up to our different buses. This was the scary part. I managed to find my bus and ask the cobrador (guy who collects money) to tell me when I got to my site. He even helped me find the Alcaldia.

I then nerviously entered the office, but almost instantly my nerves were calmed. Everyone was really sweet.

I´m currenty living the in the Mayors place...which is cool. His daughter in law lives there and her and I are chillin. She is basically the same age as I am and she cooks pretty well. They even bought me a bed! with a pillow! The only sketchy part was when they were cleaning out the room and there were some kind of bugs living in a corner. They swept them out, but I try not to think about them. And the only problem, so far, is that my cell phone doesn´t have great reception.

There seems to be plenty of work to do and people have some grand expectations. Hopefully, not too high. Some have already asked what I¨m planning on doing and the guy in charge of the youth group had already recruted me. I don´t know how it happened, but it did.

I´ve also visited the waterfalls and they seem pretty bad ass. When people come to visit we´ll go swimming there.

Alright, I gotta go. Please forgive me if entries are a little more spaced and less pictures. I´m working with dial up now. Later!

3 comments:

Dirty Flamingo said...

Living with the alcade huh? That must be the funnest living arrangement ever!

I think having someone the same age really makes a homestay type deal better -especially if you're not too hot about kids (like I am).

abrazos
adrianna

ps. i quit my job. i am now a temp.

Anonymous said...

Creepy crawlies? Eh, room is still good. You'll get over it :)

Waterfalls huh? It would be nice to visit you!

Love you!
Mena

PS Thomas and I broke up.

Mike said...

Barbara,

I just came across your journal about your adventures in El Salvador. I added a link to your page to a database I collected of Peace Corps Journals and blogs:

Worldwide PC Blog Directory:
http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/

Features:
1. Contains over 1,500 journals and blogs from Peace Corps Volunteers serving around the world.
2. Official rules and regulations for current PCV online Journals and blogs. Those rules were acquired from Peace Corps Headquarters using the Freedom of Information Act.
3. The map for every country becomes interactive, via Google, once clicked on.
4. Contact information for every Peace Corps staff member worldwide.
5. Links to Graduate School Programs affiliated with Peace Corps, along with RPCVs Regional Associations.
6. And each country has its own detailed page, which is easily accessible with a possible slow Internet connection within the field.

There is also an e-mail link on every page. If you want to add a journal, spotted a dead link, or have a comment.

Thanks for volunteering with the Peace Corps!

-Mike Sheppard
RPCV / The Gambia
http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/