Thursday, August 10, 2006

The site visit that never happened

So, yea....I was suppose to go on a site visit this week. Check out my housing options, meet my counterpart and figure out stuff for the next two years. That didn't happen. Me and my confirmed case of dengue wound up chillin in a hotel for a week. Now, I know what you're saying, 'what a rough life....livin in a hotel'. But really, this wasn't exactly a five star hotel. My room is right by the road....i love trucks. I also managed to get quite a lovely shock in the shower....literally. They use electric heaters and I reached up for something and got shocked. I spent the next five min in the shower standing very still.

But, thankfully I wasn't alone in my illness. Sam also was stuck in the dengue hotel. So far we've seen Pirates of the Carrabean and hit up a lovely italian restaurante. Our jefe, Bryan, also stopped by and took us out to dinner. It was really nice of him and quite comforting.

So, now I have less than a week of training to go. Hopefully, Sam and I will be healthy enough to return home tomorrow to our host families so that we can attend the family party on sat and start to get all of our stuff organized and packed for the big event! (Swearing in) Of corse, i'll be keeping my celebration to some nice soft beverages (coca cola).......to many drug interactions to risk anything else. I'll keep ya up to date.

4 comments:

Dirty Flamingo said...

I don't have your email address! Email me at dirty_flamingo (at) hotmail (dot) com. I have stuff to tell you!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Barbara it's PJ. Sorry about the electric shock thing, but if its make you feel any better I have been shocked many many time and i think I'm still fairly normal, but you can decide that. I think things will get better when you get into your own place. It was realy hot up her 2 weeks ago and sure enough my AC was not working, I can't stand this building. I was gonna buy a portable AC unit, but at $500 the cheap Ehlen part of me just couldn't justify it. For some reason I chose to lay perfectly still with 4 fans blolwing on me instead. It sounded like a helicopter was gonna be landing in my room and it was still hot. Well, I gotta go, but I did want to say I love you and I'll talk to you soon.

Love
PJ

Anonymous said...

Hey Barb! Thanks for sending your mass emails. It's like an ad campaign that sucks you in if not the first time, the second, or the third, or the... you get what i'm sayin' ;) Heheh, I finally checked out your blog.

You're like the epitome of schadenfreude. (schadenfreude • \SHAH-dun-froy-duh\ • noun, often capitalized
: enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others

By this I mean the "I'm sick, but at least someone else was sick too :)". I'm glad you have company.

When I was in the Philippines, my sister and I took baths in garbage buckets and they never told us there was an electric heater in the water. My sis got quite a shock!

Talk it easy babe!

Love,
Mena

Anonymous said...

Dirty flamingo sounds interesting.

PJ is finally admitting to all his shock therapy we administered for his mental health.

Hope this is old and this week you are on your way to your site city.