Monday, September 25, 2006

Independence Month

September 15th is the official Independence Day here, but they pretty much celebrate all month. Now, before any of these celebrations, we would have to decorate the stage area in front of the town hall. So far, I think I’ve blown up at least 4 bags of balloons. I’m now able to blow up a bag without getting light headed or dizzy! Ohh...the talents I am acquiring!

It starts September 1st, obviously enough, with the opening celebrations. This basically consisted of the bands coming from the different schools and marching in a parade. When they got to the town hall, they stopped and had a little shin dig. This mainly consisted of the national anthem (which is really quite long), the oath (again, really long), some presentations and various speeches from various people. They then marched around town and that was the end of it.

Next came September 13th. This is when all the kindergarteners came out to march and play. It was really similar to the opening celebrations, only with younger people.

September 14th was torch day. In the evening about 15 students (those with good standing) ran from Sonsonate to my little neck of the woods in order to bring the independence flame to the town. I’m impressed because they ran for over an hour and a half…..up hill and down hill. I might try it next year just to get the t-shirt. Anyway, they brought it to the center of town and lit the torch located in front of the stage. Next came the usual…anthem, oath and speeches. I think this is my favorite of the activities.

Finally, September 15th! All the bands from all the schools came and marched to the center of town. Where the Mayor and everyone waited and watched. During this time, I got called to sit at the table of honor. I was initially just standing in the crowd enjoying myself…but then they spotted me. Not difficult, it was the easiest game of Where’s Waldo ever. So, I sat on stage with the Mayor, the Priest and the guy in charge of the Casa de Cultura (Culture House). I tried to look content and respectful. It’s hard, cause you don’t want to sit there smiling like an idiot but a pensive look makes you look sad. I’ll have to work on it. It was nice to see the presentations and the local dances. (I have some video of this actually since the girl who was using my camera accidentally turned it to video mode…..I also have video of peoples´ feet) After that I figured I was in the clear…not so. The table of honor then led the parade around town. I really felt kinda out there….on display if you will. It was a weird thing. I hid the rest of the day…well, as best as a sol gringa in a town can.

There is one more event to come….closing ceremonies. They are going to occur on September 29th. If you want a description….skip back to the second paragraph.

No comments: