Monday, September 25, 2006

Because Mom yelled at me

Yes, I know…I haven’t written in a while. My mother has pointed this out quite a number of times. So, now I’ve posted a bunch of things! Start with the Independence Day one and work your way up to this one.

I guess I’ll start with what I’m up to. Not much. I think I’ll start teaching English in October as my first project. I figure it’ll help me get to know more people in the community. The youth group is still getting its act together. They’ve finally landed a youth house. They offered to let me live there. I told them the Peace Corps had some security regulations that prevented me from living in a place where 5 random guys would have the key to the place. They understood. Otherwise, I’m looking forward to working on the tourism stuff and artisans in the future.

I’ve managed to stay healthy! YEY! We’ll see how long it lasts… but I’m enjoying it while it does. If only I could get the mosquitoes to stop biting sooo much.

I’m looking into getting my own place. It looks like I will live in a one room house with a small backyard. But, it’s in the center of town near everyone I know. I think I’ll start moving in there next week. First I’ll have to scrub it out...ceiling to floor.

Side note; is it sad when you have more money in your bank account after joining Peace Corps then before? (Yup, my housing allowance is really adding up!)

And finally, no you can never escape them….Jahova´s witnesses. I like reading in my room with part of the door open (doors here have a backing...so the door can be shut but you can open the backing to let air and light in). That is where they spotted me. First it was just a small boy, then the older ones came. I initially thought they were just selling stuff door to door like a lot of people do down here…I was wrong. I also thought I was good, I just looked at them and said I didn’t understand (it was kinda funny, cause I did actually understand…how sweet is that). Finally, a true benefit from being a gringa! I also told them to wait as I went to get Iris to help me. She wouldn’t come and insisted I tell them no one was home. So, I went back and said I didn’t understand again and was sorry. They, of course, handed me a book that had their mission written in English. Damn. Eventually, I managed to get them to move on to the next house. Though, I think they may be coming back with an English bible…I’m worried.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Barbara! Sounds like quite the adventure. I love your narrations.

Could you either post or e-mail me your current mailing address? I have one of them, but I think it was your old one. Rather be safe than sorry.
Thanks! Tory

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb,

Is your address the same as last emailed. My class is working on you. Ants in peanut butter! Yumm. Just gives that extra protein. Thanks for brininging the world to us.

Love you lots!

Dirty Flamingo said...

It sounds like you can't escape Jehova's witness anywhere you go. I remember one such encounter with them when I used to live in Miami. The only thing I remember was when they asked me,"How would you like to go to a place where wolves can play with lambs in peace?".

"Ummm, do you have any rainchecks I could have???"

Have you gotten my letter(s) yet?

Oh yeah, we're leaving for Melbourne Novemeber 15. Neat huh?

abrazos
Adrianna

Anonymous said...

Barbara, guess who? Yes,it is your long lost Aunt. I enjoy your blog and miss you. Great to hear you are healthy, that is some diet plan you got there!
Lots of love, Aunt Joanne