Friday, September 08, 2006

Small Stuff & Little Peculiarities

The small stuff is usually the good stuff.

For example, I was chillin in the Town Hall when the mailman came in. He went through his bag and pulled out some letters and a small package. Alls I could think was how awesome it would be if that package was for me......and it was! Thanks for the cookie mix Grandma!! We (meaning my host sister) cleaned out the oven (it was really sketchy) so we can make them.

Or how I finally bought myself a full size mosquito net so I can enjoy the full bed......maybe I'll splurge one day and get nice sheets and a sweet pillow. Though, I think I overpaid for the mosquito net, but it was worth it. It was funny to hear my host sister retell the story of how we bought it. She started by saying how much it was originally $22 and how it went to $18, but she bet we could've gotten it down to $15. In actuality it went like...sale's person $22, Iris would look at me and I would look at her and then the sale's woman to lower the price and we would repeat till we came to $18. But, I decided let her have her moment in the sun. Whatever.

Also, there are the storms. The place I'm at is actually two sets of houses set up parallel to each other with a yard in the center. The higher of the two houses has this beautiful view of a the countryside. I like to hang out up there in the hammock when there is a storm because the thunder and the lightening make quite a spectacular show. And most of the time our power survives it....so it's all good.

Then there is how my old host family wrote me a text message saying they missed me. So, I called them and they said how they were afraid I had forgotten them. And how excited they were to hear from me. I explained how impossible it was to forget them (from many standpoints) and I missed them too. I might head back out there way for the Festivales Patrinales for San Rafael in October. Just for a night or so.

The Peculiarities

There is this chicken. We (family I'm living with and I) don't even own it. But for some reason, it loves to come into the house and run around. It wouldn't be so bad, except that it shits in my room. It's done this twice so far and it if does it again I might just kill it myself. It's really funny when I'm sitting in my room and the curtain is closed, then I see it's shadow outlined on the curtain like some horror flick. But, since I'm not yet afraid of the chicken (no avian flu here) and chase it out of the house. Nothing like a good chicken run to get the blood going in the morning.

My other exercise consists of the broom bug fling. It seems bugs (like moths/cockroaches) like to die in the middle of my room for no apparent reason. So, I fling them out the front door with the broom....I must say I'm getting good distance now. Maybe it's because I'm achieving a nice arc. Who knows.

No comments: