Saturday, November 18, 2006

Nada Mucho

Not too much to report this week. Over the weekend I checked out a pupusa festival since it was the national día de las pupusas. A pupusa, in case you are wondering, is a corn tortilla stuffed with beans (refried variety), cheese, pork or a combo of the aforementioned. They are usually served with a tomato salsa and cortijo (not sure if that is the proper spelling). Cortijo is kinda like coleslaw, but not really.

Anyway, it was up at Rachael’s site…so we hung out. She gave me brownies! She so good. And then we went to a correo de cintas. I believe I’ve mentioned this before, but if you’ve forgotten, it is when they string a line across a dirt road and put a piece a fabric with a loop at the end on the line. Guys then charge at the line on horseback with a small stick (kinda like a chopstick) and attempt to catch the loop with the stick. It’s actually impressive to see when they catch it. Otherwise, it’s just guys playing around on horseback.

I also went to a training with Olivia about environmental stuff. She is the environmental person within the Alcaldia, it’s a new position. I got up at 4:30am to go to this training….when did we leave? 6:30 am. I won’t go into it, just know that was a little frustrating. The training itself was tiring. I was able to follow most of what the presenter was saying, but I didn’t catch the jokes…and there were a lot of jokes. He used slang and double meanings for words that I don’t know in the first place. But, it was at the Holiday Inn and the food was well worth it. We had a three course lunch that consisted of a wonderful salad (laugh away Jenny), a nice beef main course and a dessert. The dessert wasn’t all that fabulous. But the snack at 3 was divine!

On a sadder note, this past weekend my refrigerator decided it no longer wanted to work. I miss it terribly, but am thankful that it is under a three year warranty. YEY! The only problem is I don’t know when they are going to get out here to fix it. Errrr….

No comments: