Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Shakira

That’s right, I went to see Shakira in El Salvador on November 6th and it was awesome!

My fun started on Sunday when I got my ass on a bus and went to the capitol. Of course I chatted with Rachael the entire way since she was going with me. We hopped off the bus and went for the office…or at least I did, Rachael never made it past Shaws (Shaws is a restaurant/café hang out with free wireless internet), probably because she brought her laptop with her. After a quick run to the office to drop off books and use the internet, I was back at Shaws for lunch. They had a nice chicken pot pie. The crust was more doughy then flaky…but I can handle it. Then it was then time to go to the pool! The Sheraton Presidente allows Peace Corps volunteers to use the gym, lockers and pool. So, I lied down and bathed by a beautiful big pool. It was wonderful. We also got to see the doors to the room where Shakira was staying! Wow, that sounds a little pathetic...but it was cool at the time.

It was then off to the Estancia for dinner and relaxing. The Estancia is a hostel down here that all volunteers used…and it was packed. It was almost full Sunday night, but for Monday night there was no room. I mean even the couches were reserved. But, I’m getting ahead of myself. Sunday night was just spent eating pizza, watching a movie (paradise now. It's about a suicide bomber…it was actually quite interesting, I recommend it), and just chatting.

Monday…what a beautiful day. I got up lazily and had my normal in capitol breakfast of a doughnut and a V8 fruit splash (I like to think of it as a balanced meal). I spend the day mostly with Christina (another new muni). We started off with the aforementioned breakfast, then moved onto shopping (I found a yoga matt! And she got her gaudy gold earrings) and then finally back to that beautiful pool. What can I say, it was sweet to just bask on one of the cushioned beach chairs (the type you can lie down on – I forget their name…I’m losing English vocabulary as I gain Spanish vocab).

After all that we headed back to the Estancia to get ready for el concierto de Shakira! I swear I have never seen so many volunteers in one spot. Some of us headed out at around 6 to go wait in line. Thank God I picked up some dinner along the way. That line did not move and I think it was because of all the people cutting in. Not that I can criticize cause we allowed quite a few volunteers to cut in line. We finally got in a little after 8:30. The opening act was a dj who just spun techno the entire time. It wasn’t bad, but a little weak. Shakira finally made it to the stage at around 9:20ish? She was great and mixed up her new stuff with her old stuff. The way she dances made all the girls jealous and the boys crazy. My two favourite songs she saved for last as an on chore. People don’t scream here as they should for on chores…though occasionally a bunch started in with ´otra!´ which means another in this instance. Still, she did come out and it was great. After the concert a bunch of us met up at Wendy´s (we somehow got separated into groups once we entered the stadium…imagine that). I love midnight frosties. Then it was time for bed…I have an early bed time here.

Tuesday was a long day of travelling. I had my breakfast…hmm…doughnuts, and went to the office. I dropped off forms and headed to shaws. It turns out Shaws has english muffins….an essential ingredient in english muffin pizzas. I then hopped on the bus and got my butt home for a meeting and softball….both of which got rained out. All well!

No comments: