Monday, April 21, 2008

A good but long week

Monday I was suppose to draw the map, but I cancelled that activity in order to go to Iris’s parent’s place for a birthday lunch (b-days of Iris and her mom). Then Iris cancelled that on me and put it off till Wed.

So, Tuesday I went over to the school with my laptop and the town hall’s projector and copied the map onto the wall. I was helped by Zach – neighbor volunteer, and several students.

It actually proved harder then I thought it would. The map and lines were clear when standing back from the map, but the moment you got close it was blurry. Zach wound-up drawing most of Europe by hand.

Tracing, in all, only took a little over two hours. Afterward we had to erase some parts that students drew in that don’t actually exist…though I was tempted to keep one and call it the Republic of Ehlen, but decided against it.

Wednesday I got up around 4:45ish to get ready and head over to Iris’s parents house. We got a partial ride to where Ricardo tends to the cows. From there we walked down hill, crossed a river, up hill, down hill, up hill, down hill and one more up hill. I then passed out in the hammock.

I do enjoy going there – the house is nice, up on a hill (obviously) and has a really nice breeze. Plus, Iris’s mom is a pretty good cook. We stayed for most of the day and left around 5ish. Back over the previous journey and then home.

That night I skipped one of my soap operas to mix paint for the world map. I learned while mixing that oil paint eats through Styrofoam. I had finished mixing all the colors when I felt the first container and noticed it was rather weak. So, I thus ran around my house finding all my old plastic containers. Satisfied that all was set for the morning, I went to bed.

Thursday morning I lift up the orange container – which was a thin plastic yogurt container – and it exploded over my hands. I put it in Styrofoam while I ran over to Iris’s place for a plastic container since I was all out. Thankfully, the rest of the containers were strong enough that they weren’t affected.

Thursday was spent painting the map – there were 5 of us in total. The roof down there is just lamina – so it was incredibly hot throughout the day.

Friday I went back in the morning and did a second coat with the help of a few students.

I then booked it out of there for San Salvador around 11ish. I think the weekend was mixed.

I got to san sal, got off the bus and then realized I had forgotten my cesta (a type of bag) on the bus. I ran to the terminal in the next bus, but someone had already stolen it. It had my sneakers in it, but I’m more upset over the loss of the cesta. It was a pretty one and they are hard to find.

After that, it all picked up. I hit up lunch with another volunteer; we then shopped (I picked up two new shirts) and swung by the PC office. Afterward, it was off to the salon for a pedicure (me), a cut (another volunteer) and a massage (a third volunteer). I haven’t had a pedicure in so long and it was nice. It was by far the longest one I’ve ever had. I was the last to finish out of the three of us.

For dinner the three of us went to sushi. Yes, I ate sushi. I can’t say I’m in love with it…maybe it’s an acquired taste. After that I just crashed…it was late.

Saturday was a lazy day. Most of it was spent pool side at the Sheraton. I’m only a little burnt. By afternoon that was a small group of us – about 4. After the pool, we showered and got ready to do some shopping and hit up dinner. I didn’t by anything this time around, I was feeling a little poor after previous shopping and the dinner we were about to hit up.

After shopping we went to Benihanas for dinner. The chef was awesome, but the overall service wasn’t so impressive. By this time the group had doubled to 8 people. After dinner, we hit up a bar for about 45 min before calling it a night.

Sunday was a longer day then what I wanted it to be. I had a late breakfast with some friends. While at breakfast I learned a friend was heading to the hospital sick. So, we finished up eating and then headed over to the hospital. From there I realized that I had completely forgotten to pay the hostel for my two nights there. After walking back there and paying, I was finally able to hit up the bus to get back home. I stopped in Sonsonate for food shopping, and got home around 4 something – way later then I wanted.

So, overall it was a good weekend, just tiring.

No comments: