Thursday, October 05, 2006

Mi Propia Casa

I must say, I always knew at some point in my life I would live on my own, but I didn’t think that it would be in El Salvador. I’ve moved to my own little house not to far from my own place. And I do mean little.

When you walk in there is one room and that’s it. It’s a large enough room that I can set up a bedroom type setting on one side and a desk area on the other and have room to spare. Though, I don’t have a window. I can’t say I like that, but the back of the door opens up so light can come in. It’s hard to explain, but at some point I’ll put up a pic so you get the idea. Then you continue out to the back. I have a small patio where I have already hung up my hammock. On the left I have my refrigerator (expensive little guy) and my stove (Yes, my kitchen is outside…just like camping!). Along the left side wall is the bathroom and shower. The rest of the yard is a little garden that I’ll have to work on at some point. Another nice aspect of the house is that the roof has clay tiles. This keeps it cool during the day…thank God! The only problem worth mentioning is that it doesn’t have good cell phone reception…I’ll just have to wait for the new tower to be built and hope for the best.

Most of my stuff is on lend from my host sister, Iris. I pretty much took whatever wasn’t nailed down. This includes my stove, table, chairs, dresser…..you name it, I stole it. That isn’t to say I didn’t buy my own stuff. I picked up a pretty bad ass toaster oven (what else would I bake cookies in?), a refrigerator ($300 for something that comes to chest height! I’ll sell it in two years to the next unsuspecting volunteer…bwa ha ha ha ha) and all the necessities of setting up a house (desk, dishes, cleaning supplies…etc). I bought a lot of the stuff in the market…that was an adventure. It twists and turns everywhere. If Iris wanted to lose me, she could have in about a second. I got a good deal on some things, but not everything (Mainly dishware, I should have waited and bought it at the super…but I’ll try not to stay bitter for too long). We sent the stuff we bought in the market back with a pickup. It only cost me $.50 and they dropped it off at the old house for us. That was awesome and a little strange. Next we went to the mall. Here I did some food shopping and stuff. When I bought the fridge, my host sister asked if we could hitch a ride back to town with them since they were going to deliver the fridge anyway…they said yes. Which was great, since we threw the rest of my bags into the back of the pickup along with the fridge and my bad ass toaster oven. Saved us time, sweat and money.

I went back and did some more shopping the following two days…it’s just draining. I know how my father feels when he sees money just flying out the front door. And not that I need money...don’t think that. I still have plenty, it’s just wearing spending $400 in a day.

I figure for small stuff I’ll probably use tomato crates...you know…as book shelves and such. Rachael is going to come over and help me get that organized.

It’s weird living on my own. I made my own breakfast for the first time in four months this morning and it felt pretty good. The weird thing is I continue to make warm powder milk with cornflakes…it’s growing on me. Soon I’ll make pancakes with cinnamon or even get a waffle maker. Though, I also found the little mice tracks in my dish soap...ewww. I also have to clean the house out. I have a different definition of clean then others. I’m hoping to keep cucarachas out of the house. But, I’ve also decided that washing my own clothes is overrated, so I’m going to track back to my old place and borrow the washing machine every once and a while. I’ll also head over there to eat and watch tv…it’ll kind of be like I never really left, at least for a while.

The first night was loud…the evangelicals were singing for half the night. I live right by their church. The second night was loud too….but that’s because my neighbor decided to play music at a high level and because there were cats running after mice on the roof. That kinda sucked. But I know I’ll eventually settle down and sleep through it all.

One of the things I’m worried about is being lonely. It’s easy to hide in a house by yourself. I’ll just have to fight my introvert self and get out there. Or bake cookies and have everyone visit me.

Thus ends/begins my house adventure…I´ll keep you update as thing move along.

No comments: