Sunday, October 29, 2006

…and bring the mariachi band

So, after returning from San Rafael Cedros on Saturday, we had a tourism event in town on Sunday. It wasn’t quite what I expected….

The event was planned to start at about 10am, so of course nobody started getting ready till about 9:30 – 9:45ish. There was plenty of people selling food, but only one artesian was there selling at a table. I’m not sure if others didn’t want to come or just weren’t invited. There was also one woman selling shots; her table was busy the entire time. The youth group was selling soda, but never really got to sell much. It weather wasn’t warm enough and people were to too busy with the aforementioned beverage lady.

About three buses came full of people, right on time. (That actually surprised me, things here don’t normally occur on time or anywhere near any sort of time) The Mayor greeted everyone and then the Mariachi band started playing. During this time is when people started to look around, buy food and such.

After about a half an hour or so, the buses loaded up to take the people to the waterfalls. Now, to get to the waterfalls you have to use a road that actually goes beneath a river. Not far beneath it, only a few inches, but still. And usually there is a pedestrian bridge. But, at that point in time, the pedestrian bridge (the actually metal part that sits on top of the cement blocks) was being repaired and thus laid on the road. This blocked the road so that the buses couldn’t pass. So, the buses and everyone on them, had to turn around (or back up as it were…the road is small so the buses had to back up a ways to find another road to turn on to). By then it started to rain, so the buses just took the people to the next destination.

But, since the mariachi band was paid to play for two hours, they just continued to play in the park when there was about five people there…it was great. By this time my Mayor had invited me to join him and a few others for lunch. I figured, what the hell! I could go for a free lunch out. When will I realize that things are never going to be the way I picture them to be.

Since the mariachi band still had time left to kill on the contract and had some spare time in the afternoon, the Mayor invited them to join us for lunch. So, we (Heidi, Mayor man, three other guys and I) pilled into a few pick-ups, bought some lunch and beers and made our way out to a canton to some guys house. (I was later to learn that the guy we visited is the ex-husband of Sonia…..he left her for a younger woman. Ass) The mariachi band faithfully followed and serenaded us for at least an hour or two while all the guys proceeded to drink to their hearts content. I didn’t drink to much since A-I was with 6 middle aged men and B- I’m on medication and try not to mix drugs. I usually shifted between going inside and watching the soccer game (Go Real Madrid!) and sitting outside to listen to the mariachis sing. I also just sat there and wondered how I ever get myself into these things.

By about 5:30pm they were all very happy and I was tired. They were talking about politics and other stuff that I didn’t fully understand and couldn’t really comment on. (I try not to talk about local politics as much as possible so nobody can claim I’m on their side) Eventually, when it was getting dark, they decided to go to Sonsonate to continue the party. Heidi and I bailed with the promise to join them some other time.

I then just went and watched Spirit with Iris….I do enjoy a good Disney movie every once and a while.

No comments: