Thursday, October 05, 2006

What’s up in the Pueblo

Just a few updates on what’s going on in my neck of the woods.

I recently found out that the old mayor screwed over the town by leaving it $300,000 in debt with nothing to show for it. So, my town now pays about $7,000 monthly in repayment. That doesn’t leave them much money for projects, which is why I think my mayor asked me about finding funds when he first met me. I’m hoping they don’t see me as a way to make up the difference. Cause that would be bad.

The women are slowly thinking about the softball team. I can’t tell how serious they want to be about it. Whether they just want it to be social, whether they want to be competitive or they just like the idea of it. The last time we practiced they decided that Iris and I should be captains, but I think another woman will act as an unofficial captain. She already runs the practices and she knows everyone. Practices are interesting because everyone just stands in the outfield talking, sometimes running, avoiding guys playing soccer, and you also get to learn how to dodge cow pies and the cows that made the pies. It’s all good.

I’m going to start teaching English October 16th. It’s kinda of a scary thought, I have the resources but it's still going to be me in front of a bunch of El Salvadorians trying to teach a language when I’m not even good at their language yet. We’ll see how that goes.

Alright, that’s all for now.

No comments: