Saturday, October 14, 2006

Un Fin de Semana

So, after my grumpy Friday* I decided to finish cleaning on Saturday morning and then get ready in the afternoon for a baby shower. Of course, there was no water on Saturday morning, so I settled for reading my book in my hammock, making pancakes and listening to my ipod…it was rough. My pancakes need a little work, but I got time to practice and for 3 minutes I was attacked by mosquitoes that then randomly disappeared.

In the afternoon I took a bucket bath (thankfully I still had enough water in my pila to do so) and got ready for the baby shower. (Oddly enough, they say baby shower down here in English, they don’t translate it.) The baby shower turned out to be more fun then I thought it would be. Half the people didn’t show from the office and Jessica (the pregnant one) found out about it (it was suppose to be a surprise), but it was all good. Heidi and I hung out and drank beers/ate cake with everyone else. I was able to follow a few more conversations and learned even my Mayor is worried about the politics and the potential for violence in certain areas…no, not my area. Also, he wants me to help organize a soccer tournament for the guys in the town. If I do it, it's not political so more people will play. I like that he is thinking that way.

After the party I chilled with Iris at the house. We made cookies and watched a movie. I love cookie dough. Though I went to bed early and crashed. It was nice.

Sunday wasn’t bad either. In the morning I went over to San Pedro and waited for Heidi for an hour. She had bus difficulties. Erica (her sister) came along to and we hiked it to the pool. Now, when they say pool down here they mean naturally formed pool and when they say it's close, they mean that it’s at least a half hour walk through a corn field. It was a little small, but it was cold and nice to sit in. I sat there and drank a coke while eating Doritos……and life was good. Afterward, we hiked it back up the cornfield and into the pueblo. Heidi was looking to buy a wardrobe for her house. I finally got home around 2:20pm, changed quickly and hopped onto the next bus to Sonsonate for food shopping.

Why does it always rain when I don’t have an umbrella with me and have to walk a ways. That sucked, but I finally made it to the super market. I found mac and cheese…which made me happy and picked up things to make lunch from. PJ might not agree with me on this, but sometimes you need more then just peanut butter to get by. Of course, while in the supermarket, some guy stared at me and then tried to start up a conversation by talking about how beautiful my eyes are...so spooky. So, I managed to look busy and he left me alone. YEY! I finished buying everything, entered into a Visa competition (I have to collect stickers now in order to win $10,000…it could happen!) and then trudged back out into the rain and back to the bus stop. Who was there? Scary guy with his two kids. Damn. Of course he struck up a conversation and was asking me where I live and yadda yadda. Why is it just because I’m a Gringa people think I want to talk to them and tell them everything that is going on in my life. Or everything in theirs…or that I want to take them to the US when I return. It's irritating. He didn’t turn out to be that bad of a guy…just weird.

When I finally got home, I took a shower and made myself some mac and cheese. That stuff can really make you feel better. I also kept my front door shut so nobody could stare at me. (There is this little girl that will stare at me for like 10 minutes at a time when the back part of my front door is open…it’s freaky.) I then had my phone call with my parents…always a good thing. And I finished the weekend how I started it…reading a book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You still do not understand latins ...
The weird guy, just engage into a shor converstation, making sure to mention your gringo boyfriend is waiting for you outside.

The kid staring at you ...come on!, give her something to do, tell her to help you clean something or ask her to go to the tienda. Don't you feel she might be wishing to make a new friend?, probably her family does not give her attention?, probably she is just a poor girl, chained to the poor country of El Salvador with no hope in her future, and you are just denying her a smile ....please!

Thanks for helping my country, I wish more Salvadorans were doing what you are doing.

Anonymous said...

shor = short