Friday, December 08, 2006

In Service Training

So, after about 3 months in your site, the Peace Corps training facility holds a little get together for the group. This is called in service training. I got to have some more spanish classes...i think this is the first time in my life that I actually looked foward to having spanish class...and more technical training.

I arrived on Tuesday and stayed with my host family on Tuesday and Wednesday night. I don't know what it is, but whenever I step into that community my stomach rumbles. No, i'm not sick....but I think my stomach just has a bad association. It wasn't bad since I was only really there at night after my training sessions. Again my host bro was like...gonna stay for 15 days right? And I was like, I can't even stand staying in the same house as my family for 15 days let alone you guys. But, it was nice to see them and I did get plenty of ice cream. That stuff is good. I did bring them a big piece of pottery meant to hold water. It keeps it cooler then the plastic containers. No, I will not be bringing one of those for christmas so you can all give a sigh of relief. And they treated me very well as always and gave me a Christmas presant as I was heading out. I think they were surprised by how much spanish I was speaking. That was fun.

Thursday I spent in San Vicente in the hotel with the other volunteers. It was just a nice night of chatting and eating the local food. I don't know why I'm so adventurious when eating some of this stuff cause it clearly can and does get me sick, but it can be sooo good. There are these things called pannes (again..misspelled) that are bread...kinda like little loaves, cut open with coleslaw (a form of), chicken, veggies, mayo, some kind of sauce...just good stuff.

The actually training sessions were pretty helpful. As mentioned above, spanish class was a welcomed advantage. My english class students thought it was funny I was going to spanish class. Otherwise, they talked about soliciting funds for projects and the amount of work that is incorporated in that. Others talked about mental health and the stages we go through. I think I'm out of the 'ohh shit' stage and heading into the 'bummed but hopeful' stage. It's really technical. I also got my flu shot...that stuff hurts.

After all that fun, I took a lazy Friday morning and got into San Salvador (the capitol) around lunch time. I then did dress shopping for Aunt Ann's wedding. The best part was that I dragged my friend Carl around with me to do it. The poor guy. If the dress part wasn't bad enough, he also had to hang for me shopping for heels. But, the dress is hot and so are the heels. Now if only I could find the right accessory........

Now, I'm just hanging in the Peace Corps office. I was gonna go tan by the pool, but of course today is the only cloudy day of the week. So, I'll probably just had back to my site early and continue counting the days till family! (18)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's that time already to go to Belgium, huh? YOU must be excited...getting to go to Europe and all and experience all of the luxuries of the developed world. Lucky ;)

Things with me are great. Culinary school is fantastic, I finally got a job in a kitchen and I'm getting my international accent in English back. And we even have a party planned in a couple of weeks.

Better keep your promise and come!

Abrazos,
Adriana