Saturday, December 02, 2006

And then the President came…..

Over the weekend I managed to find my way to my third jaripeo or rodeo if you will. I think it was by the same company that did the one in San Rafael Cedros. It was actually quite nice….a little warm, but nice. We arrived a little late (we being Don Justo, Sonia and assorted others whom I do not know) (we were late because we went to pick up all the aforementioned others), so we had to sit in the sun the entire time. Yup, I’m a little red. But, on the bright side I got treated to everything...such as food, beer and the rodeo itself. I didn’t actually want beer because of the sun, but once someone knows that you actually drink it, it is impossible to get them to stop buying it for you. I know, it doesn’t sound like a problem…but the beer down here is weak. Sonia also didn’t want to drink, but got suckered into it as well. Thank God she came, or else I wouldn’t have known anyone. Originally Heidy was suppose to come, but she couldn’t make it out. It was all good until the end…as happens so often in life. A guy by the name of Carlos and I had been talking for most of the rodeo and he gave Sonia and I a lift back to the pueblo (Don Justo was going to Sonsonate to hang out more and we weren’t in the mood). During the entire ride back he asked me if he could help me to get to know the country during the weekends. He could take me to the beach, mountains…a hotel….his house. He’s a professional and I’m a professional so obviously everything would be ok. Right….Sonia helped me out at the end by saying that I lived with her and I managed to not give him my cell phone number.

Anyhow, that brings us to Monday and the President (of El Salvador), Tony Saca. The federal government here is instituting a new program call Red Solidaria. It’s a program located in the poorest municipalities of the country (which my municipality is part of) and they give money to poor families based on the number of children they have. In return for the money, the kids must go to school, receive all their vaccinations, and go to the doctors when needed. For example, if they miss school for health reasons they must provide a note from a doctor verifying this. So, in order to initial the program in my municipality…the President came! It was really quite cool. The town was cleaned up and painted (unfortunately, mostly in the colours of ARENA...the political party. They even painted the library their colours!) They helicoptered him to the cancha (soccer field), which was just cleaned, and the drove him over to our little pueblo. PJ, you will be please to know he was driven in a Toyota Land Cruiser. I took a pic. They did all the usual pomp and circumstance…the band played beautifully…..and everyone went through their perspective speeches. During all this, people lined up to receive their first payment. I helped hand out sandwiches and juice. Within an hour the whole shebang was over. It was cool to see….through I am disappointed I didn’t get to take a picture of him up close or with him……but there is always photo shop!! The nice part was after it all, the Alcaldia closed for the day. Nothing like an afternoon nap.

No comments: