Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Belgium

So, my travels started at about 4am on the 26th of December. That is when the pastor came and gave me a ride to the airport. From El Salvador I went to Miami, where I bought lunch and nearly went into shock at the price. From Miami, I went to Frankfurt in Germany and then to Belgium. In total it was about 20 or more hours traveling...ouch. But it was well worth it because everyone was waiting for me at the airport. It was sweet!

We spent that afternoon exploring Brussels and trying not to fall asleep. It was just such a change. Seeing a country developed and striving. To see a place with such a history. It was so beautiful and so overwhelming. It was just so great to see everyone.

That evening we all just stayed together and ate Chinese. I unpacked a little and unfortunately found out that the majority of the pottery I brought with me had broken. But, thankfully, not the wedding present. That night I took a long, long hot shower and snuggled into a comfortable bed with a comfortable comforter.

The next morning I woke up and had no idea where I was. I didn't mind, but still had no idea where I was. Then Maryann said something, and I thought, 'Maryann's here! how sweet!'. It was weird and quite humorous. My sister was good and brought plenty of clothes. I robbed her of some, heck...right now I'm sitting in her jeans and t-shirt. How great is that! We just spent the day getting ready for the wedding. The four ladies (Tory, Jessie, Maryann and I) were a little overdressed for the occasion...apparently this was a little more informal of a wedding. We didn't care, it was an occasion to dress up. The wedding took place at the town hall? I'm not sure if that was what is was called or not. It was a quick ceremony...I think Aunt Ann spent more time signing papers then the actually ceremony took.

Then it was time for the castle. Who has a reception in a castle...they do and it was awesome! The food was to die for and the dancing lasted till the am hours. Ann and Greta have great friends and coworkers. They didn't give us to much info or dirt on them, but they did have some great stories. During the middle of the night, Greta's family put on a little skit..a song if you will. It was YMCA with new words. I wish I could sing in multiple languages. Overall, it was just great to see Aunt Ann so happy. After, I got to drive her car back to the house. I haven't driven in 7 months so to say it was fun is an understatement. I managed not to crash into anything.

The next day we all packed up and went the the Belgian shore. The adults in one house, kids in another and friends in a third. We all congregated in the parents house for food and fun. It was just three days spent exploring local towns (like Brugge and the beach) and even a display of ice carvings...which was quite spectacular. I also got the rest of my Christmas gifts....i am a spoiled rotten child. It's wonderful.

Before I knew it, it was time to go. It was about 24 hours to get back. We (Mom, Dad, Maryann and I) got up a little earlier then the rest cause my flight was earlier. Getting on that plane was incredibly difficult. Mostly cause I'm not sure of the next time I'll see them... especially Aunt Ann and Greta. The flights were long and security a little tedious at time. The security in Germany isn't messing around. They hand wand and pat down everyone. And it wasn't a cursory pat down...they were checking. I also had my ipod speakers tested for explosives. The guys at customs in the US thought it was bad ass that El Salvador was my country of residence...they also guessed I was Peace Corps. Go figure. I got in a little late, but managed to grab a taxi and get to the hostel. Thankfully, other volunteers were there to hang out with. So, now I'm chilling in San Salvador. My town hall is gonna send a car for me tomorrow...free ride! I bought some chocolate to bring back as gifts along with crepes...we'll see if they like them!

No comments: