Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Christmas and Beyond!

So, Christmas wasn't that bad down here. I got up in the morning (always a good start) and checked out a carrera de cintas. I was even a godmother, which means I brought a little present and gave it to one of the riders who succeeded in getting the stick through the loop. I decided to bring a gift at the last possible moment...meaning that Iris had to whip something up for me. It turned out that the guy who won was a boy and he grabbed the present and ran. I think I scared him a little bit.

After that I headed back to my place and started cooking up some desserts. I started off with easy bake brownies (thank you Maryann) and continued on to double chocolate chunk cookies (thank you Grandma). I then just went and chilled over at Iris's place. She was cooking up some chicken and rice and such. We kinda ate quickly and not quite as a group. But that's ok. It was still nice.


I then...being the good little Ehlen I am....went to Christmas Mass. Of course the family calls during the middle of the homily. So I ran out to say hi and tell them to call back. That mass went on forever. I skipped out after it ended but before everyone went up to kiss the baby Jesus. That's when I started calling the fam. It was difficult because the lines were so saturated with people trying to call that I could only talk to them for a few minutes.


Then came the presents...it was sweet. Everyone wanted to know what was in those big packages I received. (in case you don't know, my incredible parents and amazing siblings sent me huge packages). Yes...everyone was jealous. Unfortunatly, the italian bread crumbs mom sent me (which I asked for...I love those things!) exploded over everything. So, everything has an italian bread crumb smell...which I enjoy. I did manage to save the majority of the crumbs by tapping the box to one side and pouring them out. They're still good!


After all the present fun, we went to Nina Chens house (mother of Don Justo) to hang with some family. They made this dessert of jello and flan. I enjoy the jello, not the flan. There was a little boy there (grandson of Don Justo) there, he kept crying over something. And the sister of Don Justo took a belt and hit him to make him be quite. I found it quite disturbing. And there was another guy (I forget his name, but he is part of the family and was just visiting from the US), he turned to me and said in english, 'that's not something your use to, right?'. He didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable so that's why he spoke in english...but he was right.


After that we just went over and hanged with Sonia. It was just a chill evening. Well...as long as you could ignore the fireworks. I crashed at around 12:30ish.

Christmas Day wasn't spent doing very much. I finished up packing for Belgium and cleaned my house out. I brought everything inside except the fridge. In the afternoon, I went with Iris and fam to the beach. It was so nice. It was actually a resort where there was a small water park with slide and then then ocean. Yes...I swam everywhere. The shocking part was that the ocean water was the warmest water I've been in in this country...that is including most showers!

I then watched my last Fea Mas Bella of the year and went to bed....that brings us to Europa!!

No comments: