Monday, January 29, 2007

My Birthday!

24! It’s a nice number.

Where to begin…let’s start with the morning. I got up, made myself some pancakes and treated myself to a hot bucket bath. I love hot bucket baths (I’m serious).

From there, it was off to the office. I got there and got all the congrats. They usually said congrats and not happy birthday. It was kinda weird, but cool. I spent the day just chillin. Heidy treated me to lunch…hmmm…free lunch.

In the afternoon I got another surprise. I was sitting on my desk, cause I prefer sitting on my desk then in the chair, when Luis Ernesto came up and was like, “Don Justo wants to see you...something about the Peace Corps”. So, I went down and heard more noise coming from his office. When I walked in, everyone was there and they all stood up and started singing happy birthday! They even bought me a cake! Hmmm…cake. It was really nice.

So, then I was suppose to go play softball, but the teacher I had been waiting for all day never came. That made it to late to go play softball. I hear there were 14 women! That’s huge. I think Rosie rounded up that many to play for me, so…I kinda feel bad that I didn’t make it over there. But, such is life.

I pretty much spent the afternoon chillin at Iris’s place. Till around 6ish when we headed over to Sonia’s place. They blind folded me and led me to her backyard. Which was funny cause they had obviously never led someone who was blindfolded. They forgot to mention steps, hammocks and other obstacles. But, I made it. And when they un-blindfolded me, there were a bunch a friends shouting happy birthday! Another surprise! It was great. They had turkey, rice and some sort of vegetable thing. Then cake, ice cream and the cookies I made. It was great…really great.

That night I had my first Salvadorian sleepover. Heidy lives out in the cantons, and by the time the party ended, it was dark. It’s not always the safest thing to travel down here when it is dark. So, she stayed with me. It was a little weird, but it worked out.

I also opened my package from Mom and Dad after La Fea (my soap opera). I love the Far Side. I got the little calendar that you rip off everyday…I know sit at my desk and giggle. My co-workers ask me what it means…but Gary Larson just can’t be translated and retain the same effect. I’m also pretty sure it’s not their sense of humor. I shouldn’t say that, it can be the sense of humor of some, but not as a whole. I also got more sheets…I love sheets (for the bed). You can’t get nice sheets down here without them costing the world. And yes, in case you were wondering, I pay someone to wash my sheets. I just don’t have the arm muscle, nor the skill to do it. Plus, it only costs a buck.

I continued my fun throughout the weekend. On Friday, I headed out to the capitol. I used the excuse of handing in the computer applications. Side note: I have two schools participating in the program for a total of 15 computers. I was disappointed that one school that stated that it would participate never showed up with the application. All well.

Otherwise, I just kinda hung around with all the other volunteers. I went and saw a movie and then had Pizza Hut for dinner…high living.

Saturday. I caught a ride and headed up to the soccer match in Morizan. I love rides. It was with Allison…she is a PC employee/volunteer. A little tough to explain, but just trust me that she’s all-good. Once there, I actually played soccer. Which would explain why I’m in pain now…but that is beside the point. We lost, but only by 3 goals. Which is huge since half the team was like me…inexperienced. The boys only lost by 1. You could tell the Salvos were getting mad that they weren’t winning by a stronger margin. It was kinda funny. After the fun of the games, we went back to a nice little hotel. The shower was warm, the food good and the beer cold. It was a nice way to end the evening. I slept like a rock.

Sunday was spent traveling. It’s about 7 hours to get from Perkin back to my little pueblito. And that about ends my birthday adventure.
All’s that’s left is to wait for some packages….I love packages

No comments: